Thursday, April 15, 2010

the tale of the allergy ridden week

...the title is a rough take on "The Tale of the Allergist's Wife." Just go with it.

I have not written in almost a week. I am sorry. I don't know who I am apologizing to, besides my mother, but I am sorry, mom. I have been inundated by these things called allergies. I have never had to deal with such discomfort in my LIFE, but thankfully it has not deterred my training. I've braved the itchy watery eye (which turned into pink eye), the scratchy throat, the nasal congestion, all in the name of walking.

On Sunday, I walked down the East-ish side (on Lexington) and discovered, well, it's a lot like the West side...at least from 57th Street down. I did have this delightful New York moment when I reached Grammercy Park...the MOST delightful of respites in the "teen" streets. I was breathing in the pollen-infested air of the park when I glanced over and saw Jimmy Fallon doing the same thing. It made me happy. He is cute.

Speaking of beautiful things, I think my "NYC discovery of the week" would be the sunset on the Hudson River. I get off work while it's still light out now, so I hustled my butt over the the West side to get there in time, and I was NOT disappointed:

the circle line (isn't that what Leo took in Titanic? Oh no that was White Star. Damn.)

ummmm chello beauty.

Like...right?! And they have all of these delightful piers with jungle gyms and such that you can walk out onto...you feel like you're halfway to Jersey! I also found this inscription thing that read "I can sail without wind, I can row without oars, but I cannot part from my friend without tears." It made me cry. Or maybe it was just the wind. But probably not.

Other amazing things experienced this week...the chef salad at westville (followed by the apple pie at westville, which was a HUGE win), an original 5 Napkin Burger, and some 40 Carrots fro yo (the best fro yo in the city, if I do say so myself). I like food. I also like when friends visit so I can have an excuse to go out and eat food, instead of scavenging through my freezer and ending up with a meal of soy nuggets and frozen edamame.

I've also officially reached the 1/3 mark in fundraising! WOO. 33% down, 66% to go. I'm again in awe of the generosity of my friends and family, and hope I do them proud.

I think my favorite part of this entire experience thus far is talking to people about walking and saying the phrase "It's only 100 blocks..." That felt good. I was proud.

Time to get back to tracking the Cubs game...err....working...

LOVE and sunsets.

No comments:

Post a Comment