Sunday, April 18, 2010

the ladies who brunch


I. Love. Brunch. Moral of this weekend. You can stop reading. But not really.

So I decided Saturday morning to treat myself to brunch at my new fav place, Elephant and Castle (a-thank you Betsy Hogg). I sat in a little corner with my little book and my little coffee, and it was so delightful. I think I've learned to love doing things like that in NYC. Living on the opposite end of the island from most of my friends has allowed me the opportunity to discover the joy of sitting in a restaurant for an hour and a half, subtly eavesdropping on hilarious conversations around me, and enjoying the morning. I think I'm going to make this a weekly thing. We'll see.

After my brunch, I went on one of the longest walks I've been on thus far...totaling about 6.5 miles! I walked all the way down to Battery Park, the southern tip of Manhattan. It looks something like this:
Yup, that's the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. It was a little cloudy and rainy, which I think weeded out some of the tourists, so it was a delightful time down in the Battery (as opposed to up in the Bronx...).

My walk down there was amazing. I love downtown Manhattan. The juxtaposition between the brand new fancy schmance skyscrapers and the super old historical buildings is just really phenomenal. This idea of past and present living side by side is...there's something magical about it. I think this is best exemplified around Ground Zero. I hadn't been there since I became a New Yorker (am I a New Yorker? I feel like I'd get yelled at for using that phrase, but I live here, right??). I got weirdly emotional walking in those surrounding blocks. Just thinking about that day, walking on the same sidewalks where firefighters had run to the scene and others had fled...I'm getting chills just thinking about it. I finally started to understand how huge these towers were and how much this changed New York. I mean I obviously understood it intellectually, but this was on a completely different visceral level.

Anyway, my whole point...across from Ground Zero is St. Paul's Chapel. It looks like this:
This place opened in 1766. 1766. That is 244 years ago. George Washington prayed there after he was inaugurated president. GEORGE WASHINGTON. (side note: this video is hilarious.) Just seeing this combination of new history at Ground Zero literally across the street from some of the oldest history of the United States...it's really incredible. I tried to get the vibe with this pic...the tombstone closest to the camera is a 32 year old woman who died in 1805...

So that was that. It was cool. Then I walked back up the west side along the river, which I will always love. I learned that down at the bottom tip of the island, there are like a billion parks along the west side which was amazing. I can't wait to make picnic baskets and bring them down there this summer. And dammit I'm gonna do it!!

Last night, my friends and I decided I'm going to become a runner. It's going to be a long process, but I'm going to ease myself into it. So today, I went for about a 3.5 mile walk and ran about .75 miles of it. It's something, right? I dunno.

At the end of that run/walk was another brunch, one that was the exact opposite of yesterday's to celebrate a one Jessica McKenna's birth. Lots of friends, lots of food, lots of laughing. Just as yesterday's brunch was a nice reminder of the joys of solitude, this reminded me that I could not be luckier to have such an awesome group of friends in the city.

Discoveries abound this weekend, and tomorrow...CUBS VS. METS!!!!!! I love baseball.

I'd like to leave you with this photo, and I hope you take its advice to heart:


LOVE and well-fed rodents,
KFine

No comments:

Post a Comment